I found the ingredients to this recipe on a note written by my friend, singer Maruja Retana, and decided to add my touch to it. The result? Delicious zucchini banana bread muffins great for in-between snack or as a healthy breakfast muffin to start the day. I love them even more as they come in this cute mini muffin size!
To make breakfast even more fun: I like to eat them with a bit of organic real butter, homemade organic jam, organic peanut butter and organic hazelnut spread.
TIP; to make the recipe vegan, exchange the eggs for a homemade flaxseeds replacement. How to make this? Grind whole flax seeds until it becomes a powder. Add 1 table spoon of flaxseeds powder to 3 table spoons of warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. It is not taking over the full properties of an egg, but the mixture becomes like a gel and has binding properties in this recipe. For more information on why flaxseeds work go to Veganbaking.net.
The zucchini, banana, whole wheat flour, egg, salt mixture.
Pouring the mixture with the oats, nuts, baking soda & powder into the mini muffin bake tray.
Trying the muffins when they come out of the oven…. yum!
The inside of the zucchini banana bread muffin
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1½ cup of bananas
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
- ½ cup of crushed walnuts (or any other nuts you like)
- ⅓ teaspoon of salt
- coconut oil
- Mix the zucchini, banana, egg, whole wheat flour, apple sauce, salt in a blender, until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Add the oatmeal, crushed walnuts, mix it in with a spoon.
- Spray a mini muffin bake tray with some coconut oil.
- Set the oven on 400F or 225C.
- Add the baking soda and baking powder and mix it in with a spoon.
- Scoop the mixture into each muffin space in the bake tray until tray is full.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown.
- Let them cool off a bit and serve with homemade jam (and/or butter)
You can use other nuts like macadamia, brazil nuts or cashews.