If you crave a pasta dish, but you don’t want to go for a heavy wheat pasta, than this Spaghetti Squash pasta is a yummy alternative!
Spaghetti Squash is a kind of squash that is yellow on the outside, and the inside is made out of yellow “strings” of squash. If you cut your squash in half and take out the seeds, and cook it in its skin, you will be able to to carefully scrape out the insides. You will see the strings, and the texture is a bit crunchier than normal squash. Add your favorite pasta toppings, and enjoy! I was so surprised how tasty and light this dish was, a definite delight for the vegetable lovers out there.
(This recipe has added smoked salmon, but of course you can make a vegan version as well.)
- 3 cups chopped and drained peeled tomatoes.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of black pepper
- 1 table spoon bouillon powder, cube or paste.
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- olive oil
- 1 whole spaghetti squash (4 cups of squash after cooking)
- 4 slices of smoked salmon
- Handful of roasted pinenuts
- Chopped parsley to garnish
- Cut the Spaghetti Squash in half.
- Take out the seeds
- Cook the spaghetti squash until tender
- For sauce:
- in a saucepan add cold pressed olive oil for cooking and put on stove on medium heat
- Add the garlic.
- Add the onion once garlic is browned
- Add the tomato sauce
- Add the bouillon and stir
- Taste the sauce, and add salt to your liking
- In meantime, in a pan roast the pine nuts quickly until light brown.
- At end add the basil and pine nuts and stir for 2 minutes.
- Serve the squash with the sauce.
- On top add the smoked salmon (which will get cooked a bit due to the heat)
- Add parsley, and black pepper to garnish.
You can make this pasta vegan by leaving out the smoked salmon
(remember the smoked salmon will add a bit of salt to the dish)