What do you need for a good salad?
1. Pick a kind of lettuce as a base, I prefer organic. Romaine, watercress or mix different lettuces up.
2. Pick 1, 2 or more vegetables that you add raw or grilled. Like cucumber, tomatoes, grilled mushrooms, red peppers, onions.
3. Add a protein. If you go vegetarian you can choose nuts. If you eat meat you can add grilled organic chicken, beef, bacon or other options. And fish: tuna, salmon, grilled shrimp or scallops as a few examples. Avocado is a nice topping as it is filling
4.*Add extra toppings like dried fruits to make the salad get a sweet flavor (raisins, cranberries, grapes, strawberries or other fruits)
*Add cheese to make it more hearty (goat cheese, blue cheese, parmesan, gouda or other cheeses)
* Add finishing toppings. Seeds, sprouts or anything else you can think of too add.
5. And last: add your dressing!
*Simple salt, pepper and olive oil tastes great with good ingredients in a salad.
*If you want to go to an asian twist: add soy sauce based sauces to the dressing.
*If you want to go light, add yoghurt in the dressing.
*When you want to go sweet & spicy, add a bit of spicy red pepper flakes in dressing with honey
Some of my favorite salads I posted in this article:
Ingredients which taste great together and in combination are a not to miss flavor success when you just add some lettuce and olive oil:
* goat cheese, cranberries & pistachios
* romaine, parmesan, croutons
* tomatoes, cucumbers, salt, pepper
* goat cheese, roasted pumpkin, sunflower seeds
* walnuts & blue cheese.
Avocado is always great to add to every salad. Tomatoes and cucumbers almost always are good ingredients too!
Try your own combinations of dressing, salad & ingredients to find your favorite salad!