Last year we had a big renovation in our rental house. Finally we got double (or insulated) glazing, central heating, a new ventilation system, new kitchen, bathroom and toilet, and new balconies. Everything was really old and dirty, so we were happy for this big change in our house. Not to mention the mount we would save on our energy bill.We had to move out for several weeks, and when our house was finished we wanted to make a fresh start!
We had the idea to change most of our furniture, but we didn’t had much money. So what to do?
A few weeks before our renovation we had to pack all of our stuff in boxes; the house had to be empty for the construction workers. Best moment to make choices: what are we going to keep? And what are we going to throw away?
Or better: what are we going to sell? We wanted to sell all of our old stuff at a flea market, to create money for new furniture! We packed ten moving boxes, got one big clothing rack, and collected so much more.
With a lot of enthusiasm, fun and sunshine, me and my husband had a great day! Sales of this day? 530 EUR (715 US dollars)!!!
So now we had a budget: 530 EUR to buy furniture. We didn’t want to buy new stuff, cause we prefer vintage furniture. We love the old look and feel of a used piece. We made a moodboard with some pretty things, and then we went searching: flea markets, second-hand stores, internet.
And we found some real good stuff!
This is what we found and bought:
1. Old furniture: Collect your old stuff in your house. Take your time; do it when the weather is bad, or when you are bored.
2. Old furniture: Make pictures, and put it on internet (eBay, marketplace, etc) so people can place bids. You can also rent a stall at a flea market in your neighbourhood.
3. New furniture: Make your own moodboard. What do you like? Buy magazines, follow vintage blogs, look around, visit second hand stores and make pictures.
4. New furniture: Make time to search for beautiful vintage furniture on the internet. When you find something you really want mail or call the seller immediately! Place your own bid!
5. New furniture: When you want to buy something from the internet, don’t check everything all the time. Check the new advertisements every day. Look at old advertisements when you have more time.
6. New furniture: Take your time! You don’t have to hurry. Tomorrow is another day to look around. Make your own plan, make it fun. But don’t hesitate when you find something you really like: buy it!
I hope you are inspired! I’m so in love with my new home! And we’re not finished yet… There’s more to come!