Ever since I was a little girl, I had this romantic idea of me in the kitchen, impressing dinner guests with complex culinary creations.
Unfortunately, this dream died slowly but surely, since I realized I’m way too impatient for the whole process of preparing food. Ain’t nobody got time for that. Actually, great chefs got time for that, and thank God for this fact. I, however, am still very far from being the next Nigella Lawson, but I do hate processed foods…so over the years I have learned a thing or 2 about simple but awesome vegetarian and vegan home cooking. I have even accomplished that goal of impressing dinner guests on quite some occasions (as well as burned several pans on the stove and fingers on the oven). I’m always always always always looking for new healthy and delicious recipes, the simpler the better. And boy, do I have a WINNER for you guys & girls right now :)
I’m a big fan of protein in the morning, a hearty breakfast really fuels me for the rest of the day. I also have a very loud and obnoxious sweet tooth that I’m trying to please, without getting unhealthy (the struggle is real). Last week I found an incredibly easy recipe for banana pancakes, and I am now obsessed. Please try it, you’ll love them. You’re welcome.
Here’s the soundtrack that should go with your breakfast:
- 2 large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup protein powder
- cocoa powder (to taste)
- splash of almond milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- coconut oil
- Mash the bananas with a fork in a bowl.
- Mix with the eggs and protein powder.
- Don't be a perfectionist: it doesn't need to be be supersmooth, there should be some small chunks of banana in there.
- Add the almond milk, cocoa powder, baking powder and a pinch of salt and cinnamon,
- Give it another whisk.
- Heat a frying pan with a little bit of coconut oil over medium high heat.
- Pour or scoop the batter in the pan, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake.
- Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides.
- Serve hot.